Posts Tagged ‘ASP’

IIS Wont Display ASP Pages and Gives HTTP Internal Server 500 Error

February 10th, 2006


IIS Wont Display ASP Pages and Gives HTTP Internal Server 500 Error


Windows XP SP 2, Running IIS with the .NET Framework 2.0 installed.


Event ID’s Are logged in the System Log: 7001, 7023, 10010, 10005 
Event ID’s Are logged in the Application Log: 8193, 12292, 5013

The system log events refer to COM+ Services and Applications not loading properly.  When going to Component Services and  trying to view the COM+ Applications it just gives an Error and does not display the Applications. I am assuming that during the XP SP1 to XP SP2 upgrade COM+ stopped working.

Event ID 10010
The server {02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Event ID 10005
DCOM got error “The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. ” attempting to start the service SwPrv with arguments “” in order to run the server:

Event ID 7023
The COM+ Event System service terminated with the following error: 
The specified module could not be found.

Event ID 7001
The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System service which failed to start because of the following error: The specified module could not be found.

Event ID 8193
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007007e.

Event ID 12292
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80080005].

Event ID 5013
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer Microsoft Writer (Bootable State) called routine CVssWriterShim::Subscribe which failed with status 0x8000ffff (converted to 0x800423f4).


COM+ has been corrupted and needs to be re-installed.  There is a lot of chatter on the internet about these erros and none of them work if you cannot see the standard COM+ Applications.  I stumbled upon the following Microsoft KB article: While this article is specific to Windows 2000 it does work on Windows XP Service Pack 2.

I uninstalled IIS before re-setting COM+ as IIS is heavily dependant on COM+ for doing ASP or ASP.NET apps.

I followed the article except after deleting the COM3 Key I rebooted to give the system a clean state to reinstall COM+.  Upon doing Add/Remove Windows components it recognized that COM+ was not installed and began install and configuration.  It threw an error that it could not located es.dll. This might have been the original problem that caused COM+ to stop working.  I copied es.dll from a similar system and re-ran the Add/Remove Windows components. I reinstalled IIS.

I did get the following new error after re-installing COM+.

Event ID 10016
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
to the user AMATO\IWAM_AMATO SID (S-1-5-21-1971622245-3648352822-1220140094-1028). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I following instructions found elsewhere on the net: 
1. Open the registry and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{<CLSID in the event message>} to find out friendly name of this component. In my case, this is “Machine Debug Manager (CLSID: 0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064). 
2. Go to Component Services via Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Components Services. Expand the Component Services branch then expand Computers, My Computer, and DCOM Config. Right-click on “Machine Debug Manager” (or whatever your CLSID represents) and choose Properties. Click on the Security tab and under “Launch and Activation Permissions select Custom. Look at the accounts listed and verify the IWAM and IUSR accounts are listed correctly with all 4 permissions checked.  Click OK, close the Component Services window. The error should disappear now.

My service was also the Machine Debug Manager. I had a slightly different issue related to the computer changing name between the initial install of IIS and the new install.  New IUSR and IWAM accounts were created.  Once I updated the Accounts in the default configuration by going to the Computer Properties in the Component Services Snap in, everything works great.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments (0)